Well at least my dentist was nice enough to schedule my appointment to 2 hours prior to the contest. Ahhh, American Eurovision fan problems…
Dentist: Does Thursday, May 12 at 3pm (9pm CET) work for you?
Me: Uhhh there’s something really important at 3pm on TV then… (I didn’t mention that it was Eurovision)
Dentist: What about 1 pm the same day?
Me: How long does the appointment last?
Dentist: It should last about an hour, an hour and a half at the latest. So you’re not going to miss whatever you’re watching then…
And here’s the breakdown of semi 2!
- 16 solo acts
- 10 female solos : Switzerland, Serbia, FYR Macedonia, Australia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Norway, Albania, Belgium
- 6 male solos: Latvia, Poland, Israel, Belarus, Ireland, Lithuania
- 2 group acts
- 2 male-only groups (Denmark, Georgia)
- 13 entries were selected by external selection: Latvia, Poland, Switzerland, Israel, Belarus, Lithuania, Slovenia, Denmark, Ukraine, Norway, Georgia, Albania, Belgium
- 5 entries were selected by internal selections: Serbia, Ireland, Macedonia, Australia, Bulgaria
- 4 former Eurovision artists will return to the Eurovision stage: Kaliopi (FYR Macedonia 2012), Poli Genova (Bulgaria 2011), Johannes Nymark (backing vocalist/guitarist for Italy 2014)
- 1 former Eurovision artist will return as a composer: Aminata (Latvia 2015)
- 7 entries have foreign involvement (Poland, Switzerland, Belarus, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Norway, Georgia)
- 4 of those entries have Swedish involvement: Lithuania, Bulgaria, Norway, Georgia
- 2 artists participated in past national selections but didn’t make it to ESC: Jamala, Eneda Tarifa
- 3 entries are not 100% English: FYR Macedonia (Macedonian), Bulgaria (Bulgarian refrain), Ukraine (Crimean Tatar refrain)
My predictions for the semi: (Disclaimer: Like semifinal 1, I didn’t watch the rehearsals, so my predictions are based on the studio versions and promo party performances only)
Who will qualify: Latvia, Poland, Israel, Serbia, Macedonia, Australia, Bulgaria, Denmark, Ukraine, Georgia
Acts I really want to qualify: Serbia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Georgia